Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Coming Soon!

I like to view myself as an above-average mom in below-average circumstances. Now, I say below average not because I'm unhappy with where we are, but because my family is low-income and we have to make due with a lot less than most people in this country. It can definitely be a struggle at times, but it is also very rewarding to know that we can live happy and satisfying lives on very little. I want this blog to be an encouragement to other moms and families who are in the same boat we are, or who are just looking for some good ideas on how to cut back.

Here's a brief overview of where we are at the moment: My husband works full-time (with occasional overtime) and goes to school on-line full-time while I stay at home with our 16-month-old. I'm hoping to make a little extra money babysitting, but that's still up in the air. My husband makes around $30,000 and we rent a double wide trailer and have one vehicle. We do get a little help from WIC and family and friends, which is a huge blessing, but mostly we fend for ourselves. We like to keep our food budget for the month around $250 maximum. For the three of us, that seems to work out just fine, although I really have to plan so that we're eating as healthy as possible with that $250. So far, we've excelled enough that I feel I can start sharing some of what we do with others.

Starting in February, I will be sharing my schedule, meal plans, and budget with you all so you can see just exactly how we make the most out of our small budget. I'm still exploring and experimenting myself, so there may be weeks or months that I go a little over or find out that something isn't as awesome as I thought. But I want to share my learning process with you so maybe you can learn from my mistakes.

I hope you all stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment